Monday 10 December 2007

my black grandma



Work in progress. This painting has been pretty slow. I'm trying to paint faster but it's so hard. I reckon I should do a skin colour exercise to practise and maybe understand what colours are being used. After that blood diamond project, I'm so used to the african american skin colour that I didn't realised I painted my grandma that dark and muddy. Then again, I knew my grandma had a bit of black in her haha. Been slow in my work cos I've been sick but I'll try to catch up with you guys. Keep putting up excellent work.

4 comments:

Tyler Bartley said...

ok claire this is a good start, you should be painting and drawing more!!!, i think that something u could use to your advantage is the use of expressive lines and marks, every mark in your painting is reasonably the same, i think you could really bring this piece out if your not so nit pikcy and want to smooth everything out, go nuts with it, really look at what colours appear in the skin, squint your eyes to see the values, remember which areas would be cool warm etc....... so stop being sick and paint!!! also looks as though someone has dipped her chin into chocolate :D

Claire Wee said...

yup i reprinting the references for a close up view (colour values as you say). Tell my parents stop giving so much love. They passed their cold to me. I haven't touched any chocolate since that day. Chocolate irks me for now.

M Polli said...

Bear I think your style has been very consistent and pronounced this year. The only issue here is the coloring. But I find that your style has always communicated the tone of your pieces very well. And when you're feeling better and get into that right mind set, this will turn out just as great. I like that your brush strokes aren't overtly expressive, it's suits your passive personality down to a tee. Put simply, your style is very you. Keep us posted with how it's coming along.

Stu said...

Hey Clair, good to see ya posting dude:) I love the background textures you've got with this piece - I think there's alot of potential - and once you start rendering the hair I think the whole face will really pop. Good work, the earthy colours really suit your style.